[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Laetiporus sulphureus is a species of fungus which grows on tree trunks and branches, and is commonly known as Sulphur Shelf, Sulphur polypore or Chicken Mushroom. It can be found in Europe and North America, growing in clusters on dead or mature hardwood trees such as oaks, cherry, or beech. It has striking golden-yellow fruiting bodies which are edible when young. This fungus can last many years and the golden-yellow fruiting bodies will fade to pale grey or brown color.
Laetiporus sulphureus is a parasite on trees, causing brown cubical rot in the heartwood of trees in the roots, base and stems on which it grows. The wood of the infected tree will be discolored yellowish to red, then becomes reddish-brown and brittle, and ended in powdery form if rubbed between fingers.
Laetiporus sulphureus in young forms are edible if a large, clear watery liquid comes out of the mushrooms. The mushrooms should not be eaten raw, and they taste good sauteed in butter or prepared in cream sauce served over toast or rice. It has taste like a crab or a lobster, and is a good substitute for chicken. It may cause a mild allergic reaction in some people.